Friday, December 10, 2010

Big sister's desk before and after:

I got this desk at a huge antique/junk (mostly junk, but obviously some good stuff....still tons of fun to shop) sale that goes along a road for miles.  I think I paid $50 for both the chair and desk.  It is exactly what I was looking for for Big Sister's room.  I got some pink patterned scrapbook paper to use as desk liner.  I sanded and spray painted the chair, and I sanded and brush painted the desk.  Learn from my mistake, if you ever try something like this: spray paint is mucho easier to get to look nice.  I tried my hardest to not get brush lines on the desk, but they happened anyways.  Also, I got some super nice high gloss paint, but I still think it will eventually chip off and look terrible over time. (And knowing my daughter, that probably won't be too long)  I think a small roller probably would have eliminated the brush lines, but I still think the spray paint looks better and is easier.  Oh yes, and I really REALLY wanted some of those vintage looking pink glass handles, but they were close to $4 a pop, and I just didn't have that to spend. Luckily Lowes had some porcelain ones that were the perfect color to match for only .97 each.  Much better, but I think they look kinda 90ish, lol.  Oh well, they will be vintage one of these days, right?

Before:


Ugly 70's mustard color.  Even though I got both of these at different places, they almost looked like the same person got ahold of them with the "antiqueing" stuff....ugh


After:



Didn't take Big Sister long to fill it up with all her papers and other little kid treasures.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment